Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Big Bang....

Welcome y'all..!

Well, Microsoft did it to me...again !! Yup, I had a major system crash and have been offline for sometime. I tried 'everything' in the book to prevent a 'reformat' and 'clean install' with no luck. Nope, it wasn't a virus or trojan;not even infected e-mail. Even my 'restore disk' and 'restore points' didn't want to co-operate. I was up 'shits creek without a paddle' ! Let me give you a little 'heads up' and maybe you can prevent what took place with me !

In my infite wisdom, I usually keep my OS (windows) updated with the lattest 'updates,security patches and hotfixes' . Think I've been doing this for well over several decades on various pc's and usually without any real problems. Well, least not any that wasn't 'fixable' without reformatting. This time, I got caught.

Apparently during the updating, some critical and version specific files (dlls) didn't over-write the older ones and I ended up with improper file versions. Unfortunately the messed up files prevented the machine from loading the desktop and all would show was a 'blank screen' after the bios load ! Tuff shit Sherlock !!!
Not only did I wipe out years of personal information, saved chats and pictures that are totally irreplacable;I lost hard to find (if at all ) software(older free versions of the most productive software ever )that has been colected over the years and years of being a 'pack rat' ! Hmmm.....however there is a bright spot in this. I now have a much 'cleaner and leaner' machine without the stuff I just loaded to try out or didn't use very much ! That's the plus and a good one at that.

So, here I is, back again, almost as good as before, just a 'bit lighter' and maybe a bit wiser :)...lol ! So much for thinking 'shit can't happen to me'...:)....Well, I always knew it could, but thought since I am such a 'nut' about having the PC's 'cleaned' and in 'perfect shape'. I was ahead of the game or so I thought....guess not !!!!
So the 'lesson' here is....despite wanting to be up to date and current with the latest 'Microcrap' software....beware...shit can happen.

Ok..so I start from scratch and here I will be, again. Hopefully with new posts periodlcally keeping your 'funny bone or your curious factor' primed !!

Just a quick update on my fishies for those that read my last post! Mother fish delivered another 12 little ones on the 24th of Jan and is due on 2/23 to drop another batch ! That makes 21 little ones, so far with more on the way ! Soon, I'll have a 'megatropolis' all from a single fish..:)..lol ..and guess what?? ...No more 'visits' from 'aliens'.....:)...lol

Soooooo, till next time America....
Smile and be smiled upon...
Smugs,
Steve

PS: I went up to Microsoft Update to see what it would take to make the 'restore' current ...lol....guess what ???? There's only 132 'critical updates' required and 135 megs worth of worthless files. I think I'll reformulate my thinking for awhile and run the 'originals' without all that messed up 'crap',crappin up the machine !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home